Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Coming to a Close

Last Friday we had what they call here Open Day. The students did not have school, but it was a day for the parents to come in and see the work their children are doing. It is kinda like parent teacher conferences in the U.S. We set out the work the students have been doing at each of their spots in the room and then the parents could look at it when they came in. The parents had time to talk to the teachers about how things are going and if they had any special requests for helping their child to succeed more. The parents then wrote down some comments at the end. Some parents had more to say than others, but almost everyone wanted their child to write better. For first graders, most of the students write very well, but there is always room for improvement. 

Then this week was all exams. Monday through Thursday we had exams all day. 4 full days of testing with 36, 6 and 7 year olds can test the patience of even the calmest people. Each day there are 3 exams that you have to take and a longer snack break and lunch break in between each exam. With 36 students its hard to keep them quiet for 1 1/2 hours at a time. I taught them how to play Heads up 7 up and 4 corners for when the exams got done early and they still needed to be quiet. Everyone was happy for exams to be over by Friday, but I think the teachers more so than the students. 


The sad thing about exams being over is that it means my time here is almost up. I will definitely miss all the people I have met here. I couldn’t have asked for a better cooperating teacher. She taught me so much more than just how to teach, but many things about life that I will keep with me forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment