Tuesday, March 22, 2016

A Weekend of Celebrations

I know I usually always say that I had fun when I talk about my weekend adventures, but that is because it is true! This past weekend was no exception. I was able to partake in some Ghanaian celebrations. On Friday after school I went out to celebrate the birthday of one of my co-workers. I learned how to dance like a Ghanaian, but I will definitely need some more practice before show them off to anyone. 


Saturday while my family was at a baby shower celebrating my cousin’s soon to be baby, I was at an out dooring celebrating a newly born baby. An out dooring is when a family presents their baby to the public, usually family and friends. At the celebration they say the name of the child and who they named the child after (that’s really important here). There was a short ceremonial part where the grandfather gave the baby honey and water, so that when she grows up she will know the difference between right and wrong. Then there was dancing, because Ghanaians love music and dancing, and there was food. The people were surprised to see a white lady eating fufu and soup, with my hands at that. It was a fun celebration to be able to part take in.

No comments:

Post a Comment